Entertainment units are a necessity in every urban household these days. It is a piece of furniture that can accommodate all your consumer electronic components and appliances meant for entertainment purpose. The primary component to house in this unit is the television, along with others including DVD player, speakers, home theater systems etc. Most of them have some extra space as well to store items of daily use, such as books, flowers and decorative items. If you want to create an entertainment center of your own and considering buying an entertainment unit, then know the different types and options available in the market.
The entertainment unit that you buy depends on the style that you prefer over others. Here are some of the styles most popular these days:
• Open shelf: Open shelf is one of the most popular types of entertainment units. If you are looking for a spacious unit with open vision, then this option would do a great job for you. Usually, it has mounting brackets for the television, in addition to several shelves held by the central frame. This is a practical yet elegant kind of unit that has open shelves ideal for displaying decorations and keeping things in clear sight.
• Floating unit: These are wall-mounted stands that are clean to look and do not consume any floor space. This unit is ideal for small rooms that have limited floor space, as it makes use of the wall, not the floor. A floating unit not only looks good and catches the eye, but is also ideal for keeping your components organised. Since these entertainment units are fixed on the wall, they often have ways to keep the cords hidden. This delivers them a clean look without the maze of wires and plugs.
• Media chest: These units are often smaller in size and often have doors so that you can hide the television when not in use. This is often preferred by parents who want to control the TV viewing hours of their children, or those who want to hide their television and other components at times. The design of this unit is such that it can incorporate several shelves and has enough surface area within a limited amount of space. Most of them are rectangular in shape, and feature closed shelving.
The material used to build the entertainment unit also plays a major role in influencing your choice. Some common materials are:
• Glass: These days, high quality glass is being made that is able to withstand heavy weight of your electronic components. It looks beautiful, and gives a modern look to your space. Since glass is transparent, it reveals the beauty of your components in clear view. However, you can also go for tinted glass to get some level of opaqueness.
• Wood: Wood is one of the most common materials used for making entertainment units. It looks graceful and can be customized to create different looks and textures. Since wood cutting is an easy process, you can get as many shelves as you want with this material. Wood is also durable and lasts long if kept away from moisture. Timely repairs would also be not a problem with a wooden unit.
• Metal: As compared to wood and glass, metal entertainment units are lighter in weight and sturdier in strength. They also have a slimmer body and durable build than other materials. It is easy to cut and customise too as per the size and shape of the area available.